GET A GRIP ON GOD’S WORD
Paul told the Thessalonian believers to “stand firm” and to keep a “strong grip” on the Word of God that he had taught them. Standing firm on God’s Word we build our life on its gospel truth and instruction. Keeping a strong grip on the Word, we cling to its promises in times of trouble. Do not let skeptics nor suffering snatch the Word of God from you. Base your life on it. Fill your mind with it. Cling to it at all times.
We often teach people how to get a grip on God’s Word by having them draw an outline of their hand and write each of these words on each finger:
1) HEAR – Listen to preaching and teaching.
2) READ – Read every day. Try reading aloud.
3) STUDY – Study to understand. Get a good study Bible.
4) MEMORIZE – Begin to memorize favorite verses.
5) MEDITATE – Chew on the Word. Pray the Word back to God.
6) APPLY (In the palm) – Apply what you learn to your life.
PRAYER: Dear Father, thank You for Your Word! We love to hear it preached and we love to read it for ourselves. Help us to be saturated with Your Word, so that our minds are renewed and transformed. In Jesus’ name, amen.