The Lord spoke through Isaiah of a “precious cornerstone” that He would lay in Zion (“Jerusalem”). This coming cornerstone would have certain attributes:
1) It would be laid by God Himself.
2) It would be the foundation.
3) It would be tried (tested) and found perfect.
4) It would be precious (none other like it).
5) It would be sure (faithful, unchangeable).
6) It would inspire belief and bring rest.
This Cornerstone is Jesus. He is the fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophecy. As the apostle Paul wrote, “Together, we are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself” (Eph. 2:20). On the day of Christ’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem He quoted Psalm 118:22 to His detractors saying, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: ‘The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone’?” (Matt.21:42).
Christ is the Cornerstone, the foundation of our faith.