Jesus gave his disciples this parable to illustrate the principle of stewardship in the kingdom of heaven. Several details of the parable offer instruction concerning stewardship, but the main point is that the Lord will return and ask his servants to give an account of how they have spent that which he entrusted to them.
So, regardless of the amount of talent we have be given, we must recognize …
1) God’s ownership. Everything we are and have comes from Him.
2) Our stewardship. We are managers of the Master’s stuff.
3) He gives differing amounts and expects appropriate return (i.e. “To whom much is given, much is required.” – Luke 12:48).
4) Everyone will one day give an account.
5) The Lord will reward or punish according to our faithfulness.
The greatest gift given is Christ Himself. What we do with Him and with His gospel are of utmost importance. One day, all will be asked, “What did you do with Jesus?”